Phoenix Garden Memorial’s team knows the holidays can be a difficult time for those who have experienced the loss of a loved one. During the holidays, feelings of loss can be heightened with the expectation everything should be ‘merry.’ A memorial garden may help you to weather the holidays.
How to Make a Memorial Garden
Accepting and giving yourself the time and space too for these feelings of loss can be healthy and help you find the peace you are looking for through the holidays. Here are some suggestions to help you start your memorial garden area.
- Find a space that is just yours. It should be easily accessible, where you can have some solitude. A garden area is perfect; however, over the holidays you might want to choose somewhere warmer, possibly a sunroom, porch area, or even a corner of a room in your home.
- Making the area comfortable and easy for you to spend time there. You need a place to comfortably sit and spend time. Outside a park bench, inside a favorite soft and cozy chair would be nice.
- Have natural lighting where you can feel the warmth of the sun. Inside, a window can provide sunlight during the day. You can also use candles, small lamps or other methods of lighting that feel soft, warm and comfortable.
- Water brings a sense of tranquility. If you are outside water will naturally bring nature to you. Birdbaths can attract birds and small animals. Inside, a small fountain or running water will help you find that sense of reflection and calmness.
- Flowers add beauty, color, and scent to your space. Outside flowers can remind you of your loved one. Inside you can use cut or potted flowers. You can plant flower seed and watch it grow, symbolic of your healing process and growth.
- Bring things that remind you of the person or pet. Pictures, hobbies, or books they enjoyed; anything that brings back fond memories of them is good. Sculptures, stoneware, planters, and urns, can be symbols of hope and comfort. Words of wisdom, solace, or personal sayings can be carved into a rock or framed and hung on your wall that have a special meaning.
Phoenix Garden Memorial’s team is here to help you through this time of loss and grief. Give yourself the space and time you need to feel that loss with a memorial garden. If there is anything we can do to help you put the ‘merry’ back in your holiday, give us a call. We are here for you.